I think WordPress will finally lose me….

I have tried the new block editor several times this year and found in clunky and time-consuming.

This morning, however, WordPress is forcing it on me.

My annual subscription expires in January.

I’m thinking that I won’t be renewing this time.

I can use that $99 for some margaritas.

Added with edit: I have definitively decided that I am going to cancel and terminate this blog. I don’t need the Google juice anymore since I’m retired. Over the next three months, I will be deleting posts, beginning with the oldest ones. If any of them have information worth saving, I’ll copy it to a text file. I already have all of the pictures.

If anyone wants to follow me elsewhere, I am at Facebook, Liker, and Etsy.

If we ever get back to in-person meetings, I’ll be creating a private website for my books and calendars.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/russel.ray.3/

Liker: https://www.liker.com/rusel6945/wall

Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RusselRayPhotos

58 thoughts on “I think WordPress will finally lose me….

1. Kathy Denworth

Since you are going to join Margarita heaven, I thought I would give you our family recipe. 4 ounces triple sec, 4 ounces of Rose’s lime juice, 8 ounces of Tequila, 8 ounces of fresh, not canned, Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. Stir, shake until well chilled, serve in a salted glass.

1. Sorryless

Good to know, thank you.

And in case you haven’t found this. If you go to the WP Admin page and click on all posts, at the top you will see POSTS and a drop down box that says “Add New”. If you click on that box, you can access classic.

1. Pit

Unfortunately, that – after some time – doesn’t work anymore. Then you can only access the old editor from the new one, via “+” “add a block” and search for classic.

1. philosophermouseofthehedge

Stupid switch!!!
    Somehow I managed to get back to classic version – but for how long I don’t know.
    I actually was part of an early try/demo and told them it was bad news…but I think they are ready to walk away from the real classic blogging world in quest for companies/ merchants/sales and money population instead. Really sad. 2020 is such a downer in so many ways.
    Russel, have always enjoyed your posts and comments. The is the only social media type platform I do – part of the never FB group. Hang in there and travel on with smiles. Hope to catch up with you occasionally. Onward into the universe.

2. Mike Powell

I have similar feelings about the block editor. The classic editor is still around and I use it. To get to it, click on WP Admin in the left column when on the My Site tab. Then click on the Push Pin tool (posts) and select All Posts. At the top of the page there is an Add New button with a downward facing arrow. Click on the little arrow and select Classic Editor rather than the other option, Block Editor.

3. Pit

I’m sorry, my friend, very sorry to see you go, especially as I’m on none of the alternatives you mention t keep in touch.
    As to WP and the new editor: it really didn’t tak eme long to get used to it, and nowadys I edit/write a new post (nearly) as quickly as with the old editor. And I appreciate that I have more possibilities for formatting now. Plus: I still have the old editor on demand.
    To tell the truth: I’ve come to like the new editor, and I’m nonplussed that so many people seem to have problems with it.
    My friend, take care and stay well,
    Pit

I grew up with HTML so I find that there are fewer possibilities for formatting with the new block editor, not to mention that I can’t do post formatting all in one HTML statement. It has to be done block by block. Way too time-consuming.

1. Pit

Isn’t editing in HTML still possible?
        For me, the new editor has more, not less formatting options, especially as regards typography. Admittedly, sometimes by way of different blocks.

It is. Block by block. Not only that, but it won’t let me copy and paste from one block to the other. I have to keep writing the same HTML code over and over and over again. Way too time consuming. Blogging should be easy. This is not.

4. SueW

It was with some dismay that in early August I found myself to be amongst the first group to be moved the Gutenberg Blocks Editor. Having previously given it a thorough work out I’d already decided it was time-consuming and often unresponsive. It is NOT a Word Processor and that’s where the problems lie within the lack of flexibility.

As a retired computer teacher, I was alarmed at how many people were genuinely anxious, even distraught at the change, I would have been horrified if my students had felt like this. WordPress has so much to answer for.

I have two sites and to help others, the teacher in me wrote a number of guides for just about everything on the How To pages of one of my sites. I added guides for each of the WP text editors.
    I realise with you it’s not a lack of know how, having read your blog for a long time, clearly you are competent, its the same annoyance, frustration and inconvenience that I felt and I sympathise with your anger.

I often feel annoyed when people say they don’t mind blocks, when most of the time they’ve written the post elsewhere and pasted in, that’s not actually using the blocks.

I finally gave up on using blocks and moved to the Admin Classic Editor, strange at first because the layout is different, but given that the editor is the oldest Classic editor I was delighted with its ease of use and the flexibility of having a word processor once more.

The other day I wrote a blog post mostly to help others, I wondered what October would bring and how many more people would have cause for complaint and frustration. I also suggested that bloggers who don’t like blocks should stop using it and try one of the other editors. Don’t give up Russel, don’t give up your blog, don’t let the buggers win!

1. Pit

WordPress was never a word processor! There’s a difference between blogging editors and those. But the new Gutenberg is way more like one than the old classic editor, with much more control over font and typography, for example. I really like it, and I use it and its blocks as a standard. Only for inserting pictures and in the rare event that I need indentation I revert to the old editor.

1. SueW

I agree, the Classic word processors are not the quality of Word (I trained as a Microsoft specialist so am a little bias) but they are good enough for the needs of blogger’s, apart from the lack of the spell checker.

As for blocks, previously I used a version of blocks while working as front of house editor for a web site so I was already familiar. I’ve given the WP blocks editor a thorough workout and I feel as though I know it inside out.

It’s impossible to edit the whole document, bolding text, justifying, changing colour, moving lines of text, everything needs go be done block by block. It’s time-consuming and using two editors to achieve the goal defeats the purpose of having blocks, it just doesn’t make sense. Writers need the flexibility of a word processor even if that processor is a ‘blogging editor’.

I would have preferred to have had a choice of editor and not have it forced upon me as the default.

Those who are fully computer literate can take it or leave it, they don’t mind much either way, but the majority of bloggers are not and we need to appreciate that the changes have caused too much distress to too many.

On the plus side, there are a few changes afoot, some free sites are now able to access the defunct Classic via the desktop App. It remains to be seen whether all sites will follow suit. Thank you for your reply Pit. 🙂

1. Pit

“It’s impossible to edit the whole document, bolding text, justifying, changing colour, moving lines of text, everything needs go be done block by block.”
          I agree with that. It is a certain disadvantage.
          Maybe I’m looking at things too much from my personal viewpoint and needs.
          Thanks for your reply,
          Pit

BINGO!

5. Grace Lessageing

Yes-I’ve had to adapt. I’m not keen, but the only thing is, I can upload photos straight from my camera now. Otherwise I just type as usual and ignore the ‘blocks’. I’ll catch up with you on FB, if I may? I always like your posts, especially the garden and cat ones! [and I loved your pieces about your grandmother, too!!] xx

6. lefoodsnob

I hated it at first too, but have found some really cool features the other editor didn’t offer. I still cannot figure out how to do some of the things I can do in the normal editor but I think you should take some time to play around with it. You’ll get used to it!

1. Pit

I agree: it sure has a lot of features the old one didn’t have. What I still use the old one for:
      – indentation
      – inserting pictures, whether single or in a gallery [but with exceptions]

1. lefoodsnob

I can’t figure out how to get special characters in the block editor. And I feel like I’ve looked around quite a bit. I have to go into my old posts sometimes to copy special characters. Can you switch between the two mid-edit?

1. Pit

You can switch back and forth. When in the new editor, click on the “+” sign [“add a new block”] in the top left corner, enter “classic” in the search field, and the click on”classic”, and it will appear in your post to use.

Mine is providing fewer options. Nonetheless, I made the decision to quit WordPress, so I terminated my account and custom URL, and am in the process of deleting posts that I don’t need to save. Then I will copy posts I do want to save, but I’ll leave those up until WordPress or I die.

1. Pit

To me, it looks like different people have different experiences with WP and the new editor.
            As I said before: I’m sorry to see you go and I wll miss you, my friend.
            Take care and stay well, always,
            Pit

That’s always been a problem with WordPress because it’s an open source platform. Being open source allows billions of people to contribute, many as they are learning programming. They don’t have access to every possible platform, though, but the powers that be think it’s cool, so they implement it, leaving it to the masses to determine which platforms it works on and which it does not. I could always solve those problems with HTML. Now I can’t; the block editor won’t let me do HTML5 on a consistent basis, so if I miss something in one block, that block shuts down the whole system.

7. David J. Bauman

I’m sorry to see you go, but I totally get it. The new block editor also seems to make it hard for some things to display just the way I want them to. Ah well. I’ll look for you on Farce book! Thanks for all the likes and encouragement over the years!

8. europasicewolf

Recently discovered this horrible issue myself on finally getting back here. Not impressed. It refuses to let me edit my post after the initial input of it. Thought I had no choice but to give up w/p as a result but was reminded about “Windows Live Writer” which I still have installed. Using that now. Much easier. There’s a app version of it in the app store too – “Open Live Writer” which I’m hoping to install on my newer laptop. Maybe one is worth your consideration too? It would be a real shame if you really do leave and close this blog 🥴

1. Pit

I think one still can. I’ve not tried it, though, as – if I remember correctly – I get the message if I really want to “unpublish” my post. I’ve been reluctant to do that, even I assume that after editing I can just upload the updated version my original post.

1. europasicewolf

Seems like everything to do with posting on w/p is fraught with problems! I would concede having made a rod for my own back with my choice of backgrounds for my blog🥴but like it too much to give it up for a more realistic option! Live writer works well for me so far but haven’t tried the app yet. If it behaves all weird I’ll just have to hope the old laptop with live writer original stays functional! I am frequently “unpublishing” my dysfunctional posts🤯so I might even welcome a message like yours!🤣