Did you know?—Actinic keratoses, skin cancer, and photodynamic light

Did you know?

I have been fighting actinic keratoses and skin cancer on my face and scalp for several years now. Nothing serious, just ugly and itchy.

Last month my new dermatologist recommended a procedure called PDT (Photodynamic Light). Wow. What a procedure. I can highly recommend it, though.

More interestingly for me is that I got 16 opioid pills to alleviate pain. I can’t say that they specifically alleviated any pain but they did let me sleep up to six hours.

I have been a “polyphasic sleeper” all my life, so sleeping up to six hours was quite interesting, especially since I had dreams for the first time in my life. I always died in the dreams, which is when I woke up.

Now that I’m out of opioids, I’m back to sleeping “normally” for me, up to 2½ hours at a time. No dreams.

All of that makes me wonder just what effects opioids have on all those people who are addicted to them.

19 thoughts on “Did you know?—Actinic keratoses, skin cancer, and photodynamic light

1. Indira

It’s disheartening to know that. I have a chronic allergy which causes inside-outside severe itching and no cure. Feel addicted to anti-allergy and sleeping pills and horrible dreams. 2-3 hours of sleep without a dream is wonderful, in my opinion.

You can make them not come if you don’t sleep. More seriously, though, it is well known that one doesn’t dream until one enters REM sleep. The first time I read that I think I was listening to an REM album. In this case, though, it stands for “rapid eye movement.” I have never read why it’s called rapid eye movement, but without REM sleep, one won’t dream, and it usually takes several hours to enter REM sleep, so me never sleeping more than 2½ hours just doesn’t get me there.

Yep. Everyone dreams. We just have to define “everyone.” I don’t know the percentage of people who are catnappers, but I have seen estimates of 1 to 5 percent. So if we define “everyone” as a super super super super majority of 95%, then, yes, everyone dreams. Or do we define “everyone” using a definition before sleep research became a profession? Rapid Eye Movement was discovered in 1953. Sleep research took off in the 1980s.

2. Darlene Jones

Too many damn things that can and do go wrong with our bodies. And so many drugs. I hiked the Medicine Train in Belize and always wonder how many natural cures are out there that we don’t have access to because of big Pharma.

3. Merrilee ‘Annie’ Morgan

After reading your post I researched PDT as it is something I have thought about having done instead of liquid nitrogen as PDT is supposed to give overall nicer looking skin afterwards. My father used to have to use Efudex every few years on his face and it caused a nasty chemically induced bright red sunburn that was very painful for about a week. The article I read mentions possible mild pain, with significant pain being unusual, so I was surprised to read that you were given opioids, and that they didn’t completely eliminate the pain. Maybe I’ll stick with having spots burned off with liquid nitrogen.

They didn’t specifically eliminate the pain because there was no pain. Just red-faced and itchy for a few days, not even a week although after care said up to 14 days. Here I am now after about a month and with my follow-up I’m going to ask about having my arms done. It’s that good.

4. Merrilee ‘Annie’ Morgan

Yes, I would like to have my hands done. Irish / Welsh skin that has been in the sun without sunscreen doesn’t age well. But I doubt that insurance would cover that, and I suspect it is not inexpensive.

5. inesephoto

I will tell you what they feel 🙂 Many years ago, after an emergency operation that went not good, I was getting morphine several times a day, and after a few days I started having strange dreams. Actually, I was able to see them even when I was awake – just had to close my eyes. I would see strange planets with strange lush vegetation; strange beautiful animals and humanoids. The colors were absolute unearthly. Then they stopped the morphine, which was sure wrong. They had to do that gradually. Anyway, I got very bad withdrawal symptoms. I thought I was losing my mind. Good I mentioned it to my doc and he adjusted the meds. After some ten days I was all right 🙂
    Age sucks.

6. cat9984

When my husband was dying from cancer, they tried giving him opioids. They had no effect whatsoever. So it was back to morphine and sleeping all the time.