Zoey the Cool Cat

Zoey the Cool Cat approves

I live in my own little world

Apologies to everyone for my prolonged absence.

I left home on July 23 with the intent of going on a long road trip that would end with me entering a state of permanent sleep.

I’m home, but I’m still suffering from severe depression.

My doctor prescribed Fluoxitine HCL, which is generic Prozac, but after reading the five pages of side effect warnings (severe depression, suicide….), I decided to work my way out of this on my own.

I need something to do in my retirement years.

I thought I had found it with the San Diego Cactus & Succulent Society as newsletter editor, photographer, historian, and all-around volunteer. Unfortunately, too many people were jealous of what I do and how well I do it. They convinced the Board of Directors, which three of the more jealous ones were on, to ask me not only to resign my positions but to leave the SDCSS completely.

As one person told me, “You are doing too much.”

Another said, “You haven’t earned your stripes yet.”

And yet another said, as he was telling me that the Board of Directors wanted me out, “There are other cactus & succulent societies you can join.”

I terminated my membership. I’m not one to stay where I’m not wanted.

I’ve run into jealous and petty-minded people all my life but not too often in charitable non-profits, and I’ve worked with Red Cross, American Heart Association, Muscular Dystrophy Association, American Cancer Society, Houston Grand Opera, Houston Symphony, San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus, and many more.

Now I’m trying to find things to do to occupy my time. I’m working on a new photography web site, getting back to my gardening (now that the temperatures have dropped below 100 effin degrees), and, a couple of days ago, I signed up to volunteer at Friends of Cats on a regular basis for about 10 hours a week.

My first stint for them will be tomorrow at the nationwide “Clear the Shelters” event, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Looking forward to it. I’m pretty sure I shall come home with billions and billions and billions of cat pictures.

Zoey the Cool Cat approves.

30 thoughts on “Zoey the Cool Cat approves

1. Lisa

People can be cruel and ‘the green eyed monster’ is the worst.sometimes the wrong group of people can make for a destructive situation 😦 It sounds as though your resilience will get you through. All the best

2. T Ibara Photo

I’m terribly sorry you had to go through this experience. Jealous and petty people are among the worst poisons. Along with Zoey the Cat and your friends and other readers, I’m glad you came back.

3. yogaleigh

Out here in cyberspace I bet I’m joined by many, many others who are glad you are here and find your blog is a “doing” that’s very worthwhile. People who are that jealous are having their own problems which have nothing really to do with you .

4. acflory

-hugs- You do need a purpose in your retirement years, but dealing with such small minded, petty, spiteful bastards is NOT it. I hope you don’t stop making those lovely succulent pots though. They really are gorgeous. And don’t you dare go on any more long ‘road trips’ again. You’d be missed too much. 😦

5. lloydslensphotographyllc

It’s good to see you feeling better. As far as clubs and societies go, I have pretty much decided to cut my own path. I am a member of several groups on social media that have nothing to do with photography and the members of those other groups have been 100 times more supportive of my work. I still maintain friendship with other photographers and I’m willing to help but I don’t rely on them for validation.

6. Sue W

I’m glad you came home safe. It seems to me that there are little societies in every town and village, harbours for petty minded jealous souls. I’m sorry they didn’t welcome your talent and expertise. It is their loss, you were obviously far too good for them.

1. Sue W

If only they knew how toxic and harmful they really are.

I’ve enjoyed seeing your plants, most of which I’ve never seen before and your pots are absolutely magnificent, you really do have a gift, a talent for the creative.

A+R Pottery died a peaceful death because I could not depend on the A person. However, I have about 100 pots that I’m trying to figure out what to do with. I think there’s another company in there but I have to figure out how to do it on my own. I learned yet one more time what my wise old grandmother taught me in the ’60s: “Don’t depend on other people for the really important stuff.”

7. Marcia Carrington

I am sure that things happen for a reason, good and bad in life, and that something exceptionally better is around the corner for you, which will take away the bite of what you went through recently. You will look back on this experience one day and be thankful to be away from such negativity, far removed, and in your own, better part of the world.

I think it already has. I started volunteering at Friends of Cats, 5 miles from me, on 8/18, and I’ll be volunteering for 2½ hours every day, Sundays through Thursdays. Cats love me and I love them. They are much less snobby and jealous than the people at the San Diego Cactus & Succulent Society. (Well, there are two hissy cats that have warmed up to me yet, but they’ll come around.)

8. cat9984

I’m very glad you’re back (and I imagine Jim and Zoey are as well). What a bunch of losers at the Succulent Society. I imagine they are missing your energy and commitment already. I’ve seen similar issues at churches. Someone volunteers “too much”, decides to leave, then the “regular” members realize how much work they were actually doing. As I’m sure you’re aware, cats never seem to think that they get too much attention. Sounds perfect.

Zoey the Cool Cat started her anti-diabetes diet this past Monday. There have been significant changes in her personality. She’s jumping up on the bed again, laying down by my head, and waking me up with her loud purring. She wakes me up by washing my hair for me. Both of those are things that she did all her life, except for the past four months. She also used to sleep regularly everywhere in the house, using in three-day cycles. She’s doing that again now. She comes into the office seeking attention. She hasn’t done that in the last four months. I’m a fan of this prescription diet in spite of its cost. Yes, she’s feeling a lot better, and consequently I’m a lot better not worrying about her.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )