Don’t be cruel to your family pet

Out & About San Diego

Near one of the places where I go walking quite often is a colony of feral cats. During bad economies, the colony grows because people who can no longer afford to feed or care for their cats drop them off at the mouth of the San Diego River where this feral colony lives.

During one visit in 2009 I counted 187 cats. This morning I counted only six, and not a single one was photogenic. Thus, I returned home with not a single new picture of a fine, furry, feline friend.

Not to fear, though, because I have many pictures from past visits, and I’ll share eight of my favorites with you today.

1Feral cat in San Diego, California

2Feral cat in San Diego, California

3Feral cat in San Diego, California

4Feral cat in San Diego, California

5Feral cat in San Diego, California

6Feral cat in San Diego, California

7Feral cat in San Diego, California

8Feral cat in San Diego, California

Remember, folks, if you don’t want your family dog or cat, or can no longer take care of it, please take it to a no-kill animal shelter rather than dropping it off in an isolated location. That’s just plain cruel.

If you have an unusual pet—snake, bird, lizard, etc.—take it to a pet store. Many of them will buy your pet from you or take it in on consignment, providing you with a commission when it sells.

This post approved byThis post approved by Zoey the Cool Cat

Need a unique gift? Consider Photographic Art!

photograhic art taking pictures making art

Visit Photographic Art by Russel Ray Photos at Fine Art America.

36 thoughts on “Don’t be cruel to your family pet

1. Yoshiko

My friend cares her adopted cats in a cat hotel after she gives birth to her son. She is worried of her cats fur will affect him. She still provides for them in terms of shelter and food. Monthly pay for their needs till the end of their lives. That is her commitment. Pets for life

2. MicheleMariePoetry

Those are all such beautiful feral kitties! (One of ours was a feral kitten, we adopted her at 6 weeks of age- flea infested, distended stomach- someone had dropped her off at the vet’s back door on a super cold, below zero day, in a cardboard box! we were the lucky ones who got her!)

3. Karen B

What a special post with a very important message. Twice I have taken in stray cats who had health problems and I am guessing they were dumped or set free because the cost of the medication. How people can do this I will never understand, as you say, another solution can always be found.
    I agree with Michele Marie Poetry, that taking care of these unwanted cats has been the greatest privilege which has enriched my life. The cruel, thoughtless people who dump them have no idea what they are missing!

4. angelswhisper2011

People can be so cruel. They want an animal, a living creature with a heart like you and me, and then they throw it away like garbage. I’m a volunteer working for an organisation who helps the straycats and find them a new home. Thank you, Russel, for spreading this very important message and when (only) people have (with) a heart they’ll be thinking of another option.

If I won the lottery tomorrow (I don’t play, so I can’t win), I would buy a few hundred acres of land and create the nation’s largest cat and dog sanctuary. It’s just breaks my heart when I see such loving creatures abused and neglected.

5. laurie27wsmith

We live way out of town Russel and people without the guts to take their dogs and cats to the pound dump them out this way. More often than not the dogs run with the small wild packs that get around here. they kill the local wildlife, kangaroos and wallabies and chase cattle and horses. The cats fare better and meld into the bush where they eat their weight in small creatures. People need to be responsible for their decisions on pet ownership.

Most of the time many cats will come out to see me, many even wanting to be petted. That seems to be an easy way to determine which ones were recently abandoned. These six probably have been there a long time and are more leery of people. So they wouldn’t come out to have their pictures taken.

In the five years I’ve been going there, I’ve only seen one cat that was unhealthy/distressed. It obviously had been in a fight and was all bloody. I reported it to our TNR group and we caught it the next weekend and took it to one of our volunteer vets for care.

6. Carly'z Corner

When God created the human family he gave us 3 jobs…populate the earth, cultivate our earthly into a garden paradise and care for the amazing animals that he created….and we are failing miserably. Thanks for the great info and pics.

7. FeyGirl

Beautiful portraits… I just can’t understand the mentality. All our guys, too, our former strays/ferals/abandoned critters. Can’t fathom abandoning ANY living creature. I try to do what I can to help with TNRing those growing colonies, but it blows my mind. YAY to you for helping out! 🙂 (And to photographing the lovelies….)

8. utesmile

I love cats, mine included. I cannot understand how people can be cruel to cats or any animals. They are living beings and deserve respect and love. They show unconditional love without hesitation. Fantastic photos!