Now that I have solved my WordPress problems, I can go blog camping again, a bog visiting tactic that I thoroughly enjoy and which, I do believe, I invented way back in 2008 on another blogging platform.
My theory behind blog camping was that I wanted to visit lots of blogs, but I also wanted to get to know the person whose blog I was visiting, and I wanted that person to get to know me. I didn’t think that reading just one post in any blog would allow me to get to know the other blogger, and I didn’t think that leaving just one LIKE or one comment would let the other blogger get to know me.
Additionally, I knew from decades of experience that the 80/20 rule that my wise old grandmother taught me probably worked in the blogging world. It does. In a nutshell, if you do unto others what you would like others to do unto you, 80% of them will do unto you that which you did unto them. The other 20% won’t.
In blogging from July 2008 to January 2012, I proved that. If I left a LIKE, the other blogger would be by soon to leave a LIKE on my blog. If I left 10 LIKEs, I’d get 10 LIKEs in return. If I commented four times, I would get four comments in return. If I followed, I was followed. I quickly realized that one way to get a huge number of followers was to follow, LIKE, and comment on blogs. When I did that, 80% of those bloggers would follow, LIKE, and comment on my blog.
I have proved it again here on my WordPress blog, which I started on January 7, 2012. Before my WordPress problems began on January 2, 2014, I was visiting hundreds of blogs a day. My world record was on September 10, 2012, when I visited 401 blogs, leaving a total of 2,388 LIKEs along with 1,433 comments.
Yes, I really do keep track.
Here’s the portion of my Excel spreadsheet showing that world-record day:
The Evelyn Woods Speed Reading course, which I took in 1973, helps, as does Dragon Naturally Speaking, which I have been using since 2001.
Notice that those statistics are in columns I through M. Column H is blank. Wonder what’s in columns A through G? Those columns contain the links to the blogs I follow, the date the other blogger first visited my blog and last visited my blog, when I last visited that blogger’s blog, and how many comments and LIKEs I left on that blogger’s blog the last time I visited it.
The only problem with blog camping is that each time I leave a LIKE or comment, YOU! get an email notification. My world record for the number of LIKEs and comments left in any one blog at any one time is 66 LIKEs and 24 comments. I did have one person ask that I never visit his blog again, but if I did, not to leave LIKEs and comments because he hated getting all of those email notifications at one time. Request granted. I don’t visit his blog anymore.
My problem today is that after not being able to go blog camping for the past three months, I’m now way behind. I kind of follow the tit for tat protocol, so if someone came by my blog and left two comments and four LIKEs, when I visit that blogger, I am going to leave at least two comments and four LIKEs.
Since I am so far behind, I am going to change my protocol for at least the foreseeable future to try to get to as many people as possible of those who have been by to see me these past three months. When I come by to visit these next few months, I am going to leave only a total of three, i.e., three LIKEs, or three comments, or two LIKEs and one comment, or one LIKE and two comments.
I know everyone will understand, and as soon as I go through my list of people whom I follow at least one time, I’m pretty sure I will revert to my old way since I really, really enjoyed that.
Visit Russel Ray Photos.
Looking for real estate services in San Diego County?
I can highly recommend James Frimmer, Realtor, CDPE
CA BRE #01458572
If you’re looking for a home inspector,
I recommend Russel Ray — that’s me!