Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

A new outlook on beer and food with blogging buddy and friends

Out & About

I love it when blogging buddies come to town and actually call me. I’m at 619-341-0173 in case you didn’t know.

Yesterday, Marsha, our one and only tchistorygal, called to say that she was in town with three friends. Obviously Jim and I jumped in the car to go meet them. We had a great meal and a great time at a place that I was unfamiliar with, Slater’s 50/50. They had more beers on tap than anyplace I’ve ever seen:

Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

That picture only shows you half of what they had on tap!

We waited for almost an hour to get a seat. It was by far the busiest restaurant I’ve been to in several decades.

Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

From where I was sitting, I could see 21 television screens, and in the three hours we were there, if a table became empty, it was cleaned and re-seated within a minute. These folks were fast, efficient, and friendly, and the food and beer were great! I had a beer called 12-12-12 — a dark amber beer with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Excellent!

Of course, great beer and food is made even more superb with great company:

Four gals at Liberty Station in San Diego

These four happy gals are educators of our children. Leslie is from San Bernardino County, Laurie from right here in San Diego County, Marsha from Tulare County, and Debbie from Orange County.

I would be remiss in my blogging duties if I failed to show you our food.

My 12-12-12 beer and Slater’s 50/50 “beer cheese fries”:

12-12-12 beer and beer cheese fries at Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

The beer cheese fries are “Slater’s fries topped with our signature chili, beer cheese sauce, melted pepper jack cheese and jalapeños.” As much as I enjoy jalapeños, I never would have thought about putting them on chili cheese fries. Best fries I’ve ever had!

The “50/50” in the restaurant’s name stands for “50% ground bacon and 50% ground beef.” They put bacon in everything! In just the right amount, too. Heck, it might even have been in my beer!

Here are my four new friends:

Marsha at Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

Leslie at Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

Debbie at Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

Laurie at Slater's 50/50 in San Diego

I highly recommend Slater’s 50/50 if you’re looking for a new outlook on food and beer! Located at 2750 Dewey Road Suite 193 at Liberty Station in San Diego, they also have restaurants in Anaheim Hills, Huntington Beach, and Pasadena, and coming soon to Lake Forest.

Slaters 50/50 map

View Larger Map

I recommend Russel Ray — that’s me!Real Estate Solutions

50 thoughts on “A new outlook on beer and food with blogging buddy and friends

1. lisalday111711

I think getting together with blogging friends is pure genius…I am in Moab Utah in case any of you want to visit….its a great place to come…its dead now but Jeep Safari starts in March and its wall to wall tourists from then until November. Meanwhile that burger sounds divine….I had to become a vegetarian for health reasons and that burger would tempt me beyond reason!! Thanks for sharing Ray
    Lisa

2. babso2you

How great is that? It is wonderful that a blog can touch so many people, but to get to meet them! Great! I met one of my followers when she moved up here!

Ready for more visitors? My husband and I will be on a cruise and will be docking back in L.A. on 4/26. We wanted to head down to San Diego and spend some time in Balboa Park and at the Zoo. Would you and Jim like to join us? We were thinking of coming down that Friday, going to the park, and then spend the following day at the Zoo…Let me know how your schedule is! Hugs to you both – Barb

Just let us know! I sometimes have free tickets to the Zoo, but it’s always first come first serve. Give me 24 hours and I can play Docent. Jim’s schedule isn’t as flexible as mine.

3. Pit

Hi Russell,
    Now you’ve made my mouth water! Only drawback: I’m soimpatient and dopn’t like waiting in line to get a table. But at the 540/50 I might wait at the bar with a good beer – or two. 😉
    Thanks for the tip, and have a good Sunday,
    Pit
    P.S.: I’ve bookmarked the 50/50

I’m also very impatient when it comes to waiting to get into a restaurant. If it’s more than 15 minutes, I’m usually gone. In this case, though, I wasn’t the one in charge, so we waited. I took the gals down to the park for pictures, which is where I got that first picture, while we waited. They text you when your table is ready — I guess eventually I’m going to have to break down and get a smartypants phone ’cause that’s where the world is going.

A few weeks ago I ate at Dave’s Famous Barbecue in Vista. I had macaroni & cheese, except that it had little pieces of jalapeños in it. Awesome. And now fries with jalapeños. The world is coming around to the hot side!

The best burger I’ve ever had is at the Dixie Chicken in College Station, Texas. The meat is made with hot sauce, the buns are soaked in hot sauce, and it has jalapeños on it. They call it the “Death Burger.”

4. Gallivanta

And look who got the sulks and pointedly sat on a plate because you went off with the gals and left her at home! Did you even bring her a catty bag when you came home?

5. appletonavenue

How terrific! We were just in Encinitas yesterday, I thought about you and your standing offer, and sorry I didn’t call to arrange a meeting, but it was just for the day and we were seeing a dear old friend for most likely the last time – he has liver cancer. Next time though, I’d love to meet you both!

6. tchistorygal

We had a great time, and it was as if we’d all know each other forever! But Russel Ray, is that the BEST picture you had of me????? Yikes!!!! Next time I’ll do my hair or wear a wig!!!! or drink so much 12-12-12 that I don’t care!!!! hahaha I didn’t try RR’s beer, but his fries were to die for! 🙂 Marsha Lee 🙂

7. Boomdeeadda

What a fun group, I saw you over at Marsha’s taking a picture of your food. Holy crackers, that’s some serious calories ya all are partaking in. so I’d probably have to just stick with the beer……then it might get really silly 😉 Wow, I guess it must be plenty popular if you had to wait for an hour….Mr B would be keen, he loves burgers & bacon.

8. Bashar A.

Never heard of this place but I’ll have to check it out… with all the beer selection it might require more than one visit if I want to make it home alive 🙂

9. 1girl4adamwest

You are so cool! I enjoy reading your blogs and reading your readers comments (just wanted to share that with ya). Getting back with you on that question I asked you last year about blocking peeps from blogs (since now I have 2 under 18 humans following my blog…eeek!). this is what I found out: You cannot block someone from following a public blog. The only way to stop someone from following you, i.e. subscribing, is to make your blog Private and then invite only users you choose. AND this is the one suggestion I like and will do: You do have total control over who can post a comment on your site and that includes holding all comments for moderation and if need be, deletion.

10. WordsFallFromMyEyes

Awesome & wonderful! I’ve not dared to put my phone no. out there, but I guess because my blog is pretty personal.

I loved reading this, and to think you could meet & have such great times with blogging buddies. I’m heaps impressed re the tables being reset within a minute. And 21 TVs!!

Love the photos. Wonderful life! 🙂