Bai Yun

Proud new parents

San Diego Zoo logo

There have been rumors (rumours for my Canadian, British, and possibly Australian friends) for a couple of months that Bai Yun, the oldest female giant panda at the San Diego Zoo, might be pregnant. Rumours proved true yesterday at 2:10 p.m.

So little still is known about giant pandas that it’s always difficult to tell, even though the Zoo has some pretty good records from Bai Yun’s previously successful pregnancies in 1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2009. Dad, once again, is Gao Gao.

The little one won’t be named until the 100th day in keeping with Chinese custom, and it won’t be available for the general public to see for six or seven months. Until that time, following are some of my best pictures of Bai Yun and Gao Gao.

Ladies first. Bai Yun:

Bai Yun

Bai Yun

I guess mommy was eating for two. Daddy, on the other hand……. Well, guys will be guys.

Gao Gao

Gao Gao

Newborn pandas weigh about 3½ ounces at birth. Apparently that is about the size of a stick of butter, but I haven’t seen a stick of butter in 3½ decades……

I recommend Russel Ray — that’s me!Real Estate Solutions

19 thoughts on “Proud new parents

1. Lamberta

my sister is in love with pandas, so I have kind of enjoyed looking at the little guys. I love the giraffes more. 🙂

2. rommel

It was a coincidence that I decided to post the pictures, I tool two weeks ago, of the Pandas in SD Zoo. Next thing I know, I read about this new. Not a coincidence though, I camped to your blog reading from newest to oldest that I found out about it from another blogger and not yours. Bwahahahaha. Great great news though!

3. Pink Ninjabi

Love the photos! Love your posts! Always brings me back to what’s most delightful and real (unlike the numerous worries that run through my head like wild pandas starving). 😀

Pink.

1. Pink Ninjabi

Greetings! I’m always lurking around reading, posting not so much. I think now that my blog is so much more, um, popular, it’s added a lot more pressure on me to um, come up with something brilliant. ahhhh…. I shall hide and read instead. 😀

4. whiteladyinthehood

I love the one of daddy sleeping in the tree – it just gave me a big smile. These were great….and I too, would love to see a pic of the baby!

5. Roxie

yay! an itty bitty baby! and your humor is always spot on, this time, so funneee…yes I heard the same thing about the stick of butter, tho’ you take it to another level with just a few words…butter depraved, huh? for health reasons or vegan?

I’m a Shedd’s Spread Country Crock person. The last time I had a stick of butter was in 1973 before I graduated from high school. In college my roommates always bought whatever margarine was on sale and I got addicted to always having soft “butter” for my toast. Still that way. I’ve never looked for butter sticks in the store so I don’t even know where it might be or if it is even sold still.

6. Roxie

oh, hey that explains it…I’m a land o’ lakes butter with canola oil or the other land o’ lakes butter with olive oil…spreadable butter with none of the trans fat…god, look at this, we started talking about pandas and end up on food 🙂