Mommy mallard with her ducklings

I’m pushing the SURPRISE button!

Inspiration

PerfectionWhat if life were perfect?

….perfect world….

….perfect people….

….perfect possessions….

….perfect things….

….perfect all the time….

You had everything you wanted…. what you wanted…. exactly as you wanted…. at the moment you wanted….

SurpriseWould perfection be predictable? Dull? Boring?

What if there were two buttons each day that you could push, one marked PERFECTION and one marked SURPRISE?

Which one would you push?

Mommy mallard with her ducklings

35 thoughts on “I’m pushing the SURPRISE button!

1. avian101

I believe that perfect live in the world for everyone would not be life. Who would do work for you?, who would provide all the goodies for you? It’s just an impossible dream.
    However, surprise is life without a need of a button! Our life can change second after second, minute after minute, etc. etc.

1. Shutterbug Sage

I have been looking and looking here Somewhere-in-the-Middle-of-the-USA. I’m so excited that we FINALLY found some today. (I’ll post a photo soon.) Although I’ll need to keep looking for ducklings because I’m not sure if I have a great photo from today…

2. Halim

Definitely the ‘perfection’ button for me! What’s a little boredom and predictability if it means there are no diseases and poverty and racism and other unhappiness, and people just together to make love not war 🙂

3. sherijkennedyriverside

I quite agree that surprise is part of perfection and life without change and serendipidity and the magic of the moment would not be life at all. I was a perfectionist when I was young and I came frighteningly close to the edge. When I embraced the craziness of all that life had to offer I became part of the fantastic flow and I’ve been (more or less) smiling ever since!

4. sherijkennedyriverside

Yeah, it’s linked to fear, I think, and I was just talking to a young gal, Night Owl Poetry, about how that mean and sneaky fear gets repeatedly kicked in the butt at my house. I have ceased to care about the 10% who judge ya and the 80% who in a way are judging you too. The10% who love you anyway are sometimes a little kooky. But the few who are pure hearted are better than gold. I’ve met some in this little valley I moved to. Ahhhhh! I used to be scared of nice people because they were too much like the creepy religious ones I grew up with. But the real ones are he best of the bunch. In my opinion, perfection is a waste of time unless it happens semi-accidently in the course of life and art. (Practice makes perfection but not obsession.) Then it is the most beautiful and special of things.

5. sherijkennedyriverside

I’m at a spot where the internet connection is slow and it took forever for me to load your reply. I laughed out loud when I saw your comment. LOL doesn’t do it justice, and while I was waiting I was hearing this comment in my mind: It has been a long time since I have had such pleasure in a conversation. I’m very glad I met you. You said it so much more succinctly or however you spell that and I’m usually a good speller. 🙂 I like you too. Have the very best of nights! I will be back.

I’ll be over to do some camping in your blog tomorrow. Right now Zoey the Cool Cat is sitting in front of the monitor blocking my view, basically telling me that it’s time for a nightcap on the patio. I’ve been trained so well……………….

6. whitt88

Sheri, I’ll second your opinions. Yours are fun to read too because you express what others think but don’t say. I end up spending an hour here when I only have a few minutes to spend.

7. jhasmoments

Surprise… is what I would push but perfection is what I want lol
    You can not have just one without the other. 🙂 smile
    Nothing will ever be perfection.lol but it sounds good.

~J.Míchel

8. Rayya

I definitely agree. The imperfections in life is what makes it amazing. It is more rewarding to work hard and achieve a goal rather than just get what you want in life! I pick surprise every day 🙂

9. WordsFallFromMyEyes

Hmmm, I never wanted everything to be perfect, because perfect is dull. I feel so. Not that I like drama! But just, variances.

Great question! No Zoey the cat approval though 😦

10. AJ's Mom

What a perfect question! It’s that perfect that I don’t know how to answer it. Would that surprise be a perfect surprise? Would this perfection you say of, would be the perfection I am looking for? It’s so hard when we get thrown at with questions like this. I think I’ve lived my life – and have happily adapted to it – knowing that life isn’t always going to be perfect. Perhaps, I’ve really gotten used to it that if the choice of having a perfect life was indeed available, I probably would ask for another one – the choice of being able to keep the life I have now – not so perfect. Thank you for this post. It made me wonder, and gave me that moment of ‘ahhh, what if perfection indeed exist? ‘

11. Diamondsongrass ~ Darlene Wiggins

Great Post. Perhaps ,Surprise when you want adventure, and perfection when you want more of the same. Evenso, surprise can be full of perfection and imperfections can motivate one to strive for perfection. Good Question – something to think about. Thanks for sharing and I appreciate you stopping by My Journal of Praise and liking posts.

12. Jane

Surprise for sure! THe truth is, that life is perfect exactly as it is at any given moment. WE are the ones who have to learn to experience all with acceptance, joy, gratitude and freedom for fear, and believing with Faith that all is as it should be, always, no matter how it may appear to us at the moment. We have the choice to decide how we perceive our lives…no matter what is happening at any given time. So I always enjoy a good surprise to keep things interesting, keep me on my toes and help me to always be aware of how exciting the journey is!! 🙂
    with love light and JOY