Silkoak

I guess cutting some flowers for the kitchen table is out of the question

Picture of the moment
PICTURE OF THE MOMENT

 

This time of year I always see a large tree that is covered in gold:

Silkoak

 

That tree was on the property where I was doing a home inspection yesterday. It’s a silkoak (Grevillea robusta). The leaves look like an oak but it actually is not an oak. The Grevillea genus is in the Proteaceae family, which generally has pretty spectacular flowers looking something like this:

Protea

 

I never would have put the silkoak (also called “southern silky oak,” “silky-oak,” and “Australian silver-oak”) and proteas together without the help of my gardening library.

Grevillea robusta might lead you to believe that the tree is robust, and it is, being the largest plant in the Grevillea genus.

It is native to the east coast of Australia and is a very fast-growing evergreen tree. Its wood is resistant to root and was used to make furniture, fences, and window frames. Australia now has significant restrictions on harvesting the tree.

The flowers and fruit contain hydrogen cyanide, an extremely poisonous liquid known historically as Prussic acid. The tree also contains tridecylresorcinol which can cause severe cases of contact dermititis.

I guess cutting some flowers for the kitchen table is out of the question.

 

Silkoak

 

Silkoak

 

Silkoak

 

This post approved by This post approved by Zoey the Cool Cat

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “I guess cutting some flowers for the kitchen table is out of the question

  1. avian101

    Pretty but dangerous! I’m not affected by poison Ivy how ever I react to poison Oak. One time in NJ I was cutting overgrown branches and bushes wearing shorts and got poison oak on one of my legs, it looked as burned by a hot iron and got nasty later, I had to get medical treatment.
    Now in GA I’ve been stung several times by black wasps, red wasps yellow jackets, fire ants and small bugs I don’t even know their names but luckily I do not react bad at all, usually the effect goes away within minutes. Be careful and watch what you touch! 🙂

    Like

    Reply

Let your words flow

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.