Using Photoshop CS6 to frame your pictures

How I Did It

Here is the simplest way I have found to use Photoshop CS6 to frame your pictures.

Decide which picture to frame. This might be the hardest step. :) I’ll use a picture of Zoey the Cool Cat waiting for Santa Claus to deliver a mourning dove under the Christmas tree:

Zoey the Cool Cat and Christmas tree

Do all of your photo editing work before framing. Your final picture is the one you want to frame. So that you can keep up with me here, resize your picture to 600 pixels on the longest side, the horizontal side. You can do that many ways, but I’ll show you how to do it here using Photoshop CS6.

Click on ImageImage Size. In the Width box, type 600, hit tab, and make sure the box now highlighted in blue reads Pixels. If it doesn’t, click on the down arrow and choose Pixels. Then hit Enter or click on OK.

Image size window in Photoshop CS6

Now that we have a 600-pixels-wide picture, we’re set to go. I wanted you to use the Image Image Size command because right below it is the command that controls our framing, the ImageCanvas Size command. If your picture is small on your screen, hold the Control key down and hit zero on your number keypad; do not use the top row of numbers (If it doesn’t resize your picture, make sure your number lock key is on and try again).

Let’s put a thin white border around our picture. I always use a thin light-colored border, either white or gray, to separate the picture from the thicker colored border that we’re going to create and which adds that certain pizzazz to the framing, just like at the framing shop.

Click on ImageCanvas Size. That gives you this window:

Canvass size window in Photoshop CS6

In the Width box, change 600 to 610. Make sure the box next to that says Pixels. Since we want an even border around the picture, change the 399 to 409 and make sure the box next to that also says Pixels. Change Canvas extension color to White:

Canvas size window in Photoshop CS6

Now you should have a white border around your picture. I used WordPress to put a black border around my white-bordered picture here so that you could see the white border:

Zoey the Cool Cat and Christmas tree

Now let’s put in our colored border. Again, click on ImageCanvas Size. Let’s make it a 50 pixel colored border. Change 610 to 660 in the Width box, and change 409 to 459 in the Height box. Click on the down arrow in the Canvas extension color box and choose Other. That brings up the Color Picker (Canvas Extension Color) box.

Color picker (Canvas extension color) box in Photoshop CS6

Here’s where you can really have some fun. You can choose any color by using the color box, the color strip, or HTML number codes for any color imaginable. However, what I like to do is pick a color from my picture. The way to do that is simply to move your cursor out of the Color picker window and over your picture. Notice that your cursor turns into an eyedropper. Click your eyedropper anywhere on your picture and you’ll see that the color you clicked on magically appears in the Color Picker window. Everything you ever wanted to know about the color you clicked on is now in the Color Picker window:

Color picker (Canvas extension color) in Photoshop CS6

Click on OK, and then click OK again. Hold the Control key down and hit zero on your number keypad to resize the picture to fit on your screen. Here’s my picture:

Zoey the Cool Cat and Christmas tree

Now let’s add our final border, a white border, to separate the purple mat from our final frame, which will be black.

Click on ImageCanvas Size and change the Width box to 760 and the Height box to 559. Change the Canvas extension color to White. Click on OK. Hit Control and zero on the keypad to resize your picture to fit on the screen. I’ve used WordPress again to put a thin black border around my picture so you could see the white border we just added.

Zoey the Cool Cat and Christmas tree

Now we’re going to add an extension just to the bottom so we can add a title and our company logo.

Click on ImageCanvas Size again. Do not change the width. Instead, change the height to 659 pixels. Now we need to anchor that 100 pixels to the bottom of the canvass. In the Anchor box with all the arrows….

Canvas size in Photoshop CS6

Anchor box in Photoshop CS6

….click on the top center arrow. What that means is that you want to anchor your picture in the top center, forcing your new 100-pixels canvas extension to go to the bottom center. Your Canvas Size box should look like this:

Canvas extension window in Photoshop CS6

Click on OK. Your picture should look like the following (I again used the WordPress function to put a thin black line around my picture here).

Zoey the Cool Cat and Christmas tree

Our last border will be black, to act as a black frame around the picture and the white and purple mat frames.

Click on ImageCanvas Size and change the Width from 760 to 810, and the Height from 659 to 709. Change the Canvas extension color to Black:

Zoey the Cool Cat and Christmas tree

Lastly, add text and your company logo.

Zoey the Cool Cat waiting for Santa Claus

If you don’t know how to add text and your logo, let me know in a comment. If there is enough demand, I’ll do a tutorial on that. If you have any problems, also let me know in a comment. Meanwhile, happy framing!

This post approved by Zoey the Cool Cat

I recommend Russel Ray — that’s me!Real Estate Solutions

About these ads

99 thoughts on “Using Photoshop CS6 to frame your pictures

1. europasicewolf

That was very interesting thanks :) I use PSE8 so not sure whether I can do this with it but nothing venture nothing gain so I wil see what happens when I get in there. Alternatively there may be a different way to do it I guess. Be interesting to experiment :) I love your pic of Zoey the Cool Cat btw :) Very cute!

I don’t. I use CorelDraw, Illustrator’s competitor. It’s easier in CorelDraw, too, but my goal is to learn the ins and outs of Photoshop. I already know the ins and outs of CorelDraw, and there aren’t too many photographers, especially point & shoot photographers, who have Illustrator or CorelDraw.

2. Lyn Minchell

I will get back to you when I get t he chance to do this but you seem to have gone into better detail than most and love the cat. I am a budding nature photographer, love capturing children when not expecting it and animals are just the greatest subjects you can have. I will post a photo after i create it,

3. Pingback: My effected brown pelican « Russel Ray Photos

4. tchistorygal

Hi Russel Ray, I’ve been missing you recently, and realized I haven’t been by in quite a while, so I am on a camping trip today. I love this tutorial. I’m going to try it although I have a different Photoshop program than you do, so it will take a little adjusting. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. That’s a generous gift. Here’s wishing you a wonderfully happy holiday. Marsha Lee :)

1. tchistorygal

I’m going to wait until Wednesday, but it came out great! How do you get the frayed edges? I learned how to put snowflakes on my picture today by accident. – another big YEAH!!! Thanks again for all your support. Your tutorial was so easy to follow. Marsha :)

5. Pingback: Ye Olde Christmas Greeting | Marsha Lee

6. mhdriver

After you camped out at my place for awhile I thought I’d come over to see how your site looked. Wow! What a neat site. If you don’t mind I’d like to hang around so you could teach me how to chop wood and do picture frames and any thing else that I might pick up that I don’t know how to do.I was amazed at how well and easy it was to follow. All I have to do is to see if I can do it on cs2 or go buy a new program, O! Happy New Year and your kitty is good subject. Jim

7. Maxi

Gorgeous photo of Zoey. My best friend and her cat Sebrina live with me and I gotta tell ya … these two ladies have a strong resemblance.
    Blessings ~ Maxi

8. duellmedicalsupply

Your site is great ans thank you for the share it will take me some time to get uset to this internet thing, I am learning alot thank you friend

9. jalal michael sabbagh.http://gravatar.com/jmsabbagh86@gmail.com

Great post.Wishing you success.Thank you for liking few of my recent posts.Regards.jalal

10. Sel Azz

wow great tut, i have looked everywhere to do a border like that and they all seem soo complicated and i knew there would be an easier way, so thank you!! but i would also like to know how to do this for a collage of pictures (say 3 pics) in the one frame (say with a black background and each picture with a thin white frame and another thin black frame) hope this makes sense.
    thank you again soooooooooo much.

There are several ways to do this, but the easiest way is probably to do each picture first with its thin white and black frames. After you have that done, place them into your collage on a black background. You’ll initially be working with layers here, which often frightens people. Your three framed pictures each will be on a layer initially, as will the black background. So four layers. Once you have the three pictures position where you want them, flatten the resulting collage to merge everything into one image (Ctrl + Shift + E), and then put your frame around all three pictures. Since you flattened the collage, the last frame around the collage will include all three pictures and the black background.

You could also do the final frame as a layer. In actuality, you could do all your picture frames on individual layers, but at the end you will probably have 15 or 20 layers, and for me that gets really confusing. I like to get rid of layers once I don’t need them anymore. Occasionally I find that I do need them, and when that happens, I just go back in time using the history panel. No big deal.

Let me know if you’re successful. Heck, you could even do a blog post about your success!

1. paulettemotzko

You’re welcome Russel. :-)
        Thanks for making me realize that I want to get a cat again!

Anytime you feel like sharing any of my material from any of my web sites, I would be eternally grateful.

PhotosThatInspireWords.wordpress.com

TotallyInspiredPC.wordpress.com

CookingUpaStormWithMissPolly.com

ChildrenAreOurFutureNow.wordpress.com

Happy Holidays!

Polly Motzko

11. heenarathore

Great post! I am an animator (besides a blogger) so I’ve practised a lot of Photoshop. From quite sometime I left animating and this post refreshed a lot of memories! Thanks for sharing this :)

You’re welcome. In the ensuing time that I wrote this post I have created dozens of Actions to frame my photos. I’ve also found some cool Actions at PanosFX.com, reasonably priced.

12. restlessjo

This is the simplest way? Oh, lordy- good job I use WP for idiots :) Sorry I’ve not been around yours much lately. I’m all packed for Poland tomorrow but will try and find more time when I get back (endlessly!) Thanks for your visit.

Back when personal computers hit the market, I started teaching hardware and software classes for businesses in the Houston area. Did that for many years. I do enjoy teaching, but it doesn’t pay enough to support my extravagant lifestyle……..LOL

13. philipfontana

Russel, Another great Photoshop lesson from the Master!!! This lesson really nails it!
    I have not been on-line much between vacation & home repairs…..that post “Repair & Replace” extended & still going on in my house!!!
    Many thanks for the “likes” on that post & “My Vietnam” on my “Excuse Us…”
    Phil

14. kayrpea61

Great lesson, Ray. At my advanced stage in life, I am happy with Photoshop Essentials (baby sibling of CS6). It lets me do important things like straighten my vertical lines, correct camera distortion plus many more things I am yet to discover. ;)

15. Joshua Harkin

Thanks for the follow and likes. I’ve been going through your blog and have found many wonderfully helpful tips such as this tutorial. I’m a big user of Photoshop for many different reasons, so it’s always good to read something useful I can use such as this.

If you find a tutorial here, it’s because I couldn’t find a good tutorial anywhere on the Internet, so I created one. I still have a couple more tutorials up my sleeve. It’s just a question of doing them since they are time-consuming.

16. Pingback: How To Put Makeup On Photoshop Cs6 | Home