May I camp out in your blog?

Out & About The World

I love to go camping. Unfortunately, I have not been camping in almost 20 years. My knees, ankles, and friends won’t let me go camping.

However, no one can stop me from going camping on the Internet, and that I do each day.

If you leave a like or a comment in my blog, I promise that I’ll eventually be by to visit your blog. It might not be today, or even next week. But I’ll be there. And when I get there, it’s highly likely that I’ll camp out in your blog for a little while — reading, liking, and commenting.

Today I camped out in nine blogs. I left from six to nineteen likes in each blog, as well as no comments up to nine comments.

The number of likes I leave is highly related to how many posts you have published since last time I visited your blog. The number of comments depends on whether I have anything intelligent to say. I’ll often read through the comments, and if someone else has said what I would say, I usually won’t duplicate that. I’ll just leave a like.

I promise that I will clean up my campground when I leave your blog. I will extinguish my fire, clean up my trash, and leave your blog at least as clean when I leave as it was when I arrived.

Fire

This post approved byThis post approved by Zoey the Cool Cat

About these ads

458 thoughts on “May I camp out in your blog?

1. Maggie L R

Well, I love camping, in the good ole outdoors. I especially love going on canoe trips, however, my age is getting me to rethink portaging.
    I also love your photography so camp out here from time to time..

2. thesweetkitten

The only camping I do is in cheap and cozy bed&brekfasts :-) No fancy hotels, and certainly no shopping malls!

3. Akers Toons

I noticed your campfire on my blog and I just wanted to say thanks for stopping by and you are welcome to camp out anytime! Let me know if it gets too cold cause I have a couple extra sleeping bags :)

When I first started blogging five years ago I tried to return comments, likes, etc., each day, but after just six months it became burdensome. Blogging should be fun, not burdensome, so I had to come up with a system. Camping out is the system I came up with, and I found that it really makes people feel good when you go to visit them, read 10 or 20 of their blog posts, and leave lots of comments and likes.

1. Melanie B.

Thank you for camping on MY blog today! I love your system… I was so thrilled that you read my posts and took the time to make all of the comments! I sat there with a smile on my face reading each one. Thank you. What a nice surprise!

2. hugmamma

Thanks for the explanation. I’ll have to come up with my own system. Trying to keep up…in addition to writing, which is why I blog…can be a tad burdensome, as you say. I’m hoping folks will understand, just as I’ve come to realize…everybody’s got a life, after all. So we all do what we can…and keep on…keeping on. :)

3. panikikubik

Yes that is so right. And I think it’s so nice that you think and care in this way.
        You certainly made me glad. Thank you for that

4. i mayfly

I truly appreciate your sentiment about leaving comments, very nice metaphor…or is that a simile? Either way, I think most of us prefer a warm glow to a raging inferno. Speaking of camping, I was just recently fantasizing about hitting the road in a Teardrop Trailer and drinking it all in with camera in tow. Your campground imagery is stoking my fire ;-)

My favorite garden center here closed last year. Not only was it a garden center of 50 acres or so, but it also was a museum and had about 20 teardrop trailers on display, as well as antique farming equipment. I wish I knew what they did with all the cool stuff when they closed.

5. Vicky Newham

Hi Russel. I see that you camped out in my blog yesterday and liked a few of my posts! Thank you for stopping by, and for now following my blog. It’s lovely to have visitors, especially overseas ones! You might like my other blog too – which involves opinion pieces, and it’s here: http://imaywellbewrongbut.wordpress.com/

I’ve looked at some of your photos this morning. Wow! I love the evening/sunset ones. And I have a cat who is exactly like the one in your gravitar!

Vicky

6. iHanna

Never thought of it as camping, but it’s what I do too. Sometimes I “fall in love” and keep reading way too much at one time back in the archive. :-)

Be well & take care!

7. orples

I enjoyed your little camping excursion to my blog this morning, Russel. And too, I wanted to mention, how much I love, Zoey … you ‘approval’ kitty. He reminds me of a cat I once had (and dearly, loved…Stray). I like the way you operate, very tidy and efficient! :)

8. whitt88

It’s funny how surfing around WordPress can land you in the strange campgrounds of some wacky individuals, but when you start laughing at the way one ‘Russel Ray’ has set up a surprisingly entertaining three-ring circus under such a normal-looking tent, you know your time isn’t being wasted. I thought you were joking when you said you could spew likes and spicy comments around like a babe blowing bubbles, but I underestimated you. Must be that famous, hot southern Californian lifestyle we all admire. Thanks again for lots of laughs.

9. Silving

Hej Russel, thank you for camping in my blog,too! You are right about that,that is becomes boring at some point to comment and like posts. Good idea you came up with ;)
    Have a nice evening!

1. Tarek

Google camping reiepcs and you’ll have a good time trying to figure out what to eat on your trip.Bring a bird or plant ID book and binoculars.Bring a camera.Look for an old book about Camp Craft . I think you’ll dig that.As for me, I bring as little as possible outdoors and soak in the pure nature.By the way, it’s called SportsmansGuide.com Dude forgot the S . Also check out SierraTradingPost.com for great deals. But SportsmansGuide.com has awesome surplus gear.

10. Lisa at fLVE

Hi Russel. I just wrote you a long comment and the page got weird and erased everything. :( Oh this one will go through. Thank you so much for coming by my blog earlier and camping there. :) I had no idea what you meant until I read this and it’s such a great idea. Thank you so much. Also, wanted to let you know that I discovered your blog through catpurrology and I am glad that I did because we really enjoyed our San Diego trip and looking forward to reading more about the city. I have more posts coming up from that trip but interrupting it this week for SF. :) Love the avatar pic of Zooey. So cute. Thank you again and hope you have a great day and weekend.

11. Robin Jean Marie

Aaahh, you’re taking me back to my Girl Scout days! So now, when I’m spending hours in the blogosphere, I can think of it as doing something healthy and out-doorsy, besides. ;-) Thanks!
    I like your style, Russel Ray.

12. Anita Mac

I love camping out on other peoples blogs! Never thought of it that way before! As a travel-a-holic without enough time – I get so many great ideas reading other peoples stuff! Great post.

13. Irena

Thank you for camping in my blog! You really left it as clean as you arrived.
    But now my site is even much better because I know there’s one more person who likes my work! :)
    I’ll do my best do leave your site clean as you left mine.
    Best wishes! :)

14. SimplySage

Laughter (from me) to clever (you). Thank you for camping out at my “site”. Your campfire stories are welcome anytime. Thanks, too, for the follow.
    Much hospitality must needs be returned.
    Peace and laughter,
    Alexandria

15. sherijkennedyriverside

I wandered to your blog via wjs2day and I’m so glad I found your place in the woods! Ilove to camp, internet and otherwise. My backyard is a perfect place to camp–by the river with a lovely, level moss covered spot under the trees, but I have yet to pitch a tent there since the comfy cabin-like house is mere feet away. But I internet camp all the time, and offer my backyard in images both literal and figurative for you and the world to camp in any time. It’s a place of peace and beauty and there’s often a surprise that moves the mind or soul…cuz that’s how nature is, and life’s like that. I’ll camp out in your neighborhood for awhile if you don’t mind, and it looks like there’ll be some great day-hikes on Russel Ray Photos….Thanks!

16. foldedcranes

I really liked the philosophy behind this enire post, and also that you came and already spent a little time camping on our blog. I did not read all of the comments here, so likely someone has already expressed this sentiment. Nevertheless, I am glad there are people like you reading other peoples blogs, as well as generating their own interesting content. Thanks.

Thanks. It takes far less time to camp out in ten or twenty blogs each day leaving 10-20 likes and comments than it does to visit 100-200 blogs and leave just one like or comment. Much more efficient, and I get a better feel for who the person is by spending some time with him/her.

17. adinparadise

YOu’re more than welcome to camp out in my blog, but I’m afraid you won’t find me camping. Been there, did that ONCE when I was much younger. Our daughter was still a baby, and we thought it would be great to go camping in North Wales. A storm blew up in the middle of the night, and took our tent from over us, leaving us to get soaked by the heavy rain. I swore, never again to go camping. I love my comforts. ;)

18. Huffygirl

Hi Russel Ray, Thanks for camping out on my blog and following. I look forward to seeing your comments, suggestions, and whatever else you leave behind when you stop by.

You have some very nice photos here – good luck with your blog.
    Huffygirl

19. Genie

I love the outdoors, but I don’t want to sleep out there. I didn’t realize that I have been camping out on the internet. You may camp out at my blog anytime.

20. Barefoot Baroness

What a charming and creative post! I really like the analogy. I was glad to have you in my camp.
    You are most welcome to pitch a tent, strike a fire, and roll up a stump. Make yourself comfortable and stay awhile.
    Thanks for choosing to follow and set camp. I do hope you come back.

21. Darlene Jones

Hey, thank you for camping out in my blog. I hope you had fun. and what a cool idea. I don’t like camping though so can I go for some Bed and Breakfast stops?
    Darlene

22. Nicky Wells

Hi Russel, I saw you came and visited my blog yesterday… happy camping! I love your attitude and your style and hope you’ll find some engaging posts on my blog during your stay. I normally post Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with the occasional special thrown in here or there. I decided I like your blog, too, so I am following. Now I wait with bated breath to see what your camping expedition will bring! X

23. Dianna

Hi, there! I normally don’t comment when someone already has 76 comments on a post, but I wanted to thank you for visiting and liking my blog post. This is such a clever idea for a post. And I’m a kitty-lover, so the picture particuarly caught my eye. Enjoy your day!

24. artzent

You can camp on my blog as long as you like and I will return the favor by camping on yours! Awesome writing and I love the cat! Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

25. LivE

i followed the smell of toasted marshmallows and it led me here. ;) thanks for passing by and following my blog. you’re welcome to camp any time, and don’t be surprised if you find a bag of marshmallows waiting for you there. :) have a wonderful day!

26. WordsFallFromMyEyes

Interesting concept – like. So you’ll come, but you’ll go. I wonder if any fellow camper ever takes your interest enough to stay… ah, but that be life.

I couldn’t read through the 90+ comments to see if anyone said what I have, so I’ll just have to suppose they haven’t, but place my bets on ‘they have’.

Like how your friends won’t let you go camping any more.

Anyway, thanks for the visit – you know http://www.VodkaWasMyMuse.wordpress.com is a new blog on the ugliness of me on alcohol and the beauty of me getting off it, seeing as I no longer get off on it. So yeah, thanks for your stay.

Totally bet your inbox is bursting, given this post, so I’ll leave you alone now! But gotta say, when I have the time to go cruising on wordpress, I really do love the photography blogs. Don’t like the food ones, but love the real tell/real life/real thoughts ones.

Anyway, hope you enjoy while my camp’s on fire. N’n.

Oh, yeah! I’m a writer. My first business was as a 13-year-old researching, writing, and typing papers for the college students at Texas A&I University. The worst grade I ever got was a B+, and that was because the teacher didn’t like the student, who happened to have the same last name as my family but was not related to us. The teacher taught my dad and my four uncles, and I’ll just leave it at that.

I have about 50 books in the work. Chapter One is complete on all of them. Just can’t finish them. I guess I’m not a finisher. lol

27. Roxie

knew it! hey, your rep will flip if that info gets out…you’re just not through with them yet, that’s why they’re called wips, hehehe. namaste (looked for your email addy but didn’t see it…)

28. Riba

I love this, camping out in our blogs. :)

I just popped in to thank you for following my blog, No Holds Barred. You have an awesome following here—I am delighted to add you to my own much more modest one. Thank you! ;-)

1. Riba

How about a good campfire for them? ;-)

And you will be of course most welcome. Oh, and BTW, I love your avatar. S/he reminds me very much of my Trair who I loved once (and always).

29. Melissa

What a great great idea! I love that your photography career began with yearbook staff in sixth grade! I ended up becoming a graphic designer due to my middle school and high school year book experiences :)

Thanks for following my blog! I plan to camp out in your blog soon – looking forward to learning more about photography so I can stop using the automatic mode on my camera!

1. Gina's Professions for PEACE

:D or I could say, You Boulder! (maybe start a new thing?…Ya, won’t hold my breath)
        Seriously tho I love this idea of ‘camping out’ in another’s blog, since that is the best way to get a sense of the writer and their blog. Different themes, rants, photos and poetry. Camping out for a while. I love it. What can I say? I am a fan already :)

Back in 2008, about a year after I first started blogging, I had about 600 followers but about 2,100 people that I followed. I discovered that it saved a lot of time if I would stay in one post for a longer period of time and read, like, and comment. Camping did a better job of introducing myself to people, and finding out who they were. This stuff of trying to visit 100 people each day and like just one post is extremely time-consuming, especially if my computer or WordPress is running slow in opening blogs.

1. Gina's Professions for PEACE

Honestly I cannot thank you enough. As a neophyte blogger, this is an amazing tip. I try to keep up using Reader but find it still misses many of my favorites and I do what I can to follow my nearest and dearest. But THIS idea, of maybe not visiting everyday but rather when I pop in, I’ll ‘camp’ for a while, reading, soaking it in, enjoying making comments… that my dear wise Russel is a brilliant way of building even deeper community here in our blogging world. Thank you so much. Hugs, Gina

30. Gina's Professions for PEACE

This snail-mail enthusiast says “Thanks for the encouragement” but it won’t be marshmallows or chocolate coming from Alberta Canada, sadly. Might melt. Or flag me at the border as some wicked criminalist bent on gastrointestinal distress. But how about recipes for delicious chocolate-mint Mojitos? Or recipes for easy yet healthy country comfort food (I’m thinking what could I put in a card for you?) Maybe photos of the colorful graffiti around here! Ok, not like in your area but we’re working on it! Or, maybe thanks here will suffice. I am delighted we have connected. I appreciate wicked intellects such as yours…

31. lscotthoughts

Hi Russell,

My family and I love camping in the literal sense, but I love your definition, as well! Thanks so much for following and I hope you enjoy your visits! I love photography (viewing it), so I’ll follow you, too, and look forward to finding a campsite soon! :)
    Lauren

32. theforgottenwife

You found me first, so permit me to hang about and do some sightseeing. I’m a camper, as well, and I promise to leave it as I found it….except for the occassional dropped likes and comments that I’m sure you’ll want to keep. See you around the campfire!

All I did was put you on my list of campgrounds to visit because a friend told me about you. So I’ll be back in the next couple of days to do a little camping. Keep that camp store well stocked with hot dogs, buns, and smores!

33. transplantednorth

thanks for visiting and sure you can visit my blog. I haven’t gone camping in so long, in fact, it was when I lived in California briefly, that I was last camping. Such a shame. Camp out any time, happy camper!

34. blastedgoat

I like the style of your blog and I LOVE the cute little cat that accompanies your posts. Thanks for camping out at my blog, it made it possible for me to do the same :)

35. eof737

I love this post and just found it… Sure, hang out with me anytime and I’m happy to camp out with you. Thank you for sticking with me too dear fellow blogger!

36. Maria

Thank you for camping at my blog. I hope you stay for awhile since I’m a beginer and need all the encouragement I can get. I like your good sense of humor mixed with good information.

37. stregajewellry

I thought I smelled woodsmoke last night, and hot dogs cooking but it was so late, I just rolled over. Early this morning I noticed a few dropped likes and comments and thought I would stop by your own site. I suspect you can smell the hot chocolate, though you’ll probably just roll over in your sleeping bag at this hour of the morning (must be 4.am there). An.yhow, just passing through. I’m on a hike and I have 3 little boys with me. I’m trying to keep them busy. Love this post

38. Mark Walker

Haha! Thanks for the follow man. I just read your Camping protocol and I’m very glad youve decide to make use of my fire. Welcome aboard sir. Would you like a bowl of soup? ;-)

39. Cathy

I love trains and I was excited to see some railroad photos. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I would have made smores if I had know you were coming!

40. Paula Kuitenbrouwer

Thanks Russel for your visit. I hope you enjoyed the flowers and birds on my blog…erm…camp site. Did my Tawny Owls kept you awake at night? Did you see the woodpeckers and butterflies? I hope so and I hope you will have loads of enjoyable sight-seeing elsewhere in Blogosphere Nature Reserve.

41. CanadianTravelBugs

I see you have camped out again :) Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoyed the posts. Not my best lately since I was up to my eyeballs in work and the To Do list kept getting longer. Now on holiday so the pressure is on to catch up on blogging and write something more inspiring.

42. Jane

love this post… so clever! Thanks for following my blog. Hope you will do some exploring and perhaps even find something to inspire or assist you along your own life’s journey. I am currently in “retreat” mode, so new posts will be slow in coming along for awhile. A special thanks for bringing me here and look forward to exploring and “camping out” for awhile here as well.
    You might like to take a trek over to my India Journal blog where there are years worth of posts from my early sojourns in India, as well as lots of photographs!

Happy camping
    with love light and JOY

43. judysp

I love your blog it’s very clever. Thank you so much for following my blog judysp.wordpress.com Your support is much appreciated.
    Happy Blogging (and camping)
    cheers Judy :)

44. TJ

Well as long as you don’t leave your food around for bears to take megabytes of, I would be glad to have you stop by.
    Clever post!

45. sued51

Looks like you camped in mine yesterday…giggle! This post is so well-written and clever!
    BTW, I lived in San Diego for a few months when I was a child. I can picture in my mind…we lived up on a hill…when you drove down the hill there was the beautiful bay and a bridge and a Jack-in-the-Box at the bottom of the hill! Also, I was so impressed by the San Diego Zoo that for a while I said when I grew up I wanted to be an animal trainer at the San Diego Zoo! :-)

46. Chancy and Mumsy

Thank you for camping out at our blog tonight. We appreciate all the ‘likes’ that you left. We apologize for the closed comments and thank you so much for bringing that to our attention.

47. momentumofjoy

We roast marshmallows over the stove top. Stainless steel seems to take away from the experience slightly but it’s fun giving the kitchen that “should we call the fire dept?” smell. Needless to say, I am picking up what you are putting down about camping. ;)

48. frederick anderson

Hi again, Russel. Thank you for the ‘like’ – all likes are welcome! Thought I’d better mention – if you’re thinking of coming to camp out my way the next few days, bring things that float! Lord, didn’t it rain!

49. Pingback: The Great Horned Owl Lens Comparison, Revisited | Photography Journal Blog

50. moderndayruth

I truly enjoy your blog, do keep up the great work! I wasn’t into camping ever – but i used to go to the beach before the climate changed and before Montenegrin beaches became too crowded… so, thank you for letting me visit your blog instead, i thoroughly enjoy the experience! ;)
    L.R.

51. The Emu

Thanks for visiting the old Aussie Emu’s space, look forward to following your site,most of my life has been camping, twenty years army , twelve months Vietnam and a short camp in the highlands of Papua new Guinea, that and three marriages, seems I have been camping my whole life away, thankfully settled now.
    Cheers
    Emu

52. letizia

It’s a fun idea! But please don’t feel obliged to do so each time I comment on one of your posts; you’re always welcome to set up camp but not it’s not a must :)

53. joiez

Hi Russel, Thanks for visiting my blog and glad you liked it. :o) I only have one year of photography experience – all pictures on my blog were taken by me. I’ll check back on yours as well! Namaste, Joie.

54. texasdruids

Thanks for visiting my texasdruids camp site. Come back any time, stay as long as you wish. Be sure to pet the cats.

55. The Lonely Dogs

Hi Russel,
    We were all honored to have you come by and camp out on our blog the other day! We look forward to seeing you again, and until then we will be seeing you here :)
    Kathryn & The Lonely Dogs

56. Bambi Lynn

Glad to see you stopped by to check out some of my photos, I appreciate the visit. Y’all come back now, ya hear?

57. George Hayward

What a cool idea. I was never much of a camper, but I’m certainly a blog reader, so I guess I am a camper after all lol.

58. valeriedavies

great that you’ve connected – not sure you’re camping yet! But I look forward to it if you get here! As a newbie I’m discovering that blogging is fun and you cartainly make it sound like that..
    If you do come to my site, please bring the cat, I miss having no-one to give chicken and smoked salmon to!

59. Jane

Hi again Russel. I see you’ve been camping out again at my blog. Always lovely to have you around. And appreciate not only your visits, but your likes. This is what keeps me going with the blog when I don’t always feel like continuing.
    much love light and JOY

60. Alarna Rose Gray

Such a lovely and timely sentiment, considering the post I am writing this very minute. And I absolutely know what you mean about camping – also a lover of camping, but mostly in theory. What is it about age that makes you all cynical and wary of being in the wild alone? Anyway, you’re very welcome to camp anytime – I intend to do the same :)

I’m not sure who the “you all” is that you are referring to. I for one am not “cynical and wary of being in the wild alone.” However, I am a Realist, and at this point in my life, my knees and ankles would prefer that I not be in the wild alone. They don’t want the responsibility of having to take me where my mind wants to go but not being able to.

1. Alarna Rose Gray

My apologies for any confusion, Russel – I wasn’t meaning “you all”, but rather “all cynical”. Nor was I referring to “you” or anyone in particular. In fact, I was referring to myself and the experience of being a woman and feeling a tad vulnerable in remote locations. This is something I never used to care about when younger. You did not come across at all cynical – I really enjoyed what you had to say. It is I who has developed what I can only describe as stranger danger in my post-youth.

I understand, particularly about a woman feeling a tad vulnerable. Several decades ago I used to teach personal safety courses. The only people in the courses were women of all ages, and gay people.

61. acflory

Any man endorsed by a ‘cool cat’ is welcome in my blog! Come set up your tent and we’ll swap cat stories over the campfire. You’ll be in good company. :D

62. writecrites

Your “follow” on my blog definitely entitles you to camp out there. In fact, your cool-cat gravitar is now watching everything that goes on from my blog’s “Community” sidebar. Now I’m going to enjoy looking around your blog :)

I found your blog via a blogging friend. I’ll be back in a day or two to inspect your campsite in greater detail. I also inspect the camp store, and a low supply of hot dogs and s’mores gets bad grades…..lol

63. Nicole

Hi Russell,

I just happened on here because I noticed you started following my blog. Look forward to exploring your blog! I like your photos! I have a few pics of SD that I’ve posted here and there and will probably post in the future. Hopefully my photos do justice to the area. I’m always up for new people camping out at my blog. I love the fact that my audience is so diverse.

Hey, Nicole. I found your blog through a blogging friend. I’ll be back in a couple of days to do some camping, so make sure the camp store is well stocked with hot dogs and s’mores. I like to stay up late but I’m quite so the other campers won’t notice me.

64. The Presents of Presence

I like your ‘camping out’ idea ~ and I thank you for camping out in my neck of the blogwoods. I look forward to reading more of your posts ~ love the photos & especially Zoey (I have a Chessie that looks very similar to Zoey).

65. patgarcia

Hi,
    This is a great idea and even though I never liked camping, I like your idea of camping out on the Internet. I blog every week but on six different blogs, so I hope to see you more than once. Happy Camping!
    Ciao,
    Patricia

66. Thomasena Farrar

Hey There! So glad you chose my site to camp out yesterday! I appreciate your support and the sincere comment you left :) PS – love the Zoey the Cool Cat approval :P
    Peace and Blessings, Thomasena

67. pauliwj

Thanks for visiting and camping out in my blog! You are always welcome to return and stay for as long as you like! (I hope you will allow me to hang out here from time to time as well!)

68. Ileandra Young

Camping these days usually involves pointy rubber ears, a sword and a costume of green and purple. ;-)
    Oh and lots of sword fights with pirates, elves, orcs,dwarves and humans who don’t know any better. Heh, and I used to say my life was boring!

One day though, more traditional camping might prove fun; I’ve not done that since I was a Brownie!

69. dizzy

Hey Ray,

I think I replied to your comment on my blog backwards? 😊 Anyway… Here it is…

Cosmic campers are ALWAYS welcomed and encouraged at Dizzy Yet?, Russell. We’ve got soft, mulched tent pads, smokeless fire pits, unlimited firewood, the fish are biting, the wildlife is exceptionally friendly, there’re no mosquitos, we’ve got fresh, clean odourless outhouses, and there’s stargazing and fireworks every night, baby! Every single night! Uh, yeah. Who knew?

Oh! And it’s FREE! You’re welcome to stay as long as you’d like. 😃

Thanks a bunch for checking out my blog! I’ll look forward to your return. Until then, happy camping, dude!

Hope you have a great day! 💋

P.S.: I want to play this tune for you. It made me think of you and your suicide journey, not being able to go camping any more… Uh, yeah. Hope you like it it’s very old-school.

70. Travelbunny

Thank you for pitching your tent yesterday it was a pleasure to have you stay awhile.
    Next time do stay for the Battle Bangers – (local sausage variety). Off now to explore your campsite…

71. tchistorygal

I love it when you camp out on my site. I also enjoy camping on yours. I always learn something. I have to say that it is always tempting to steal something from you – great ideas. Teachers steal ideas all the time! We live on the stolen ideas that someone has tried and had both success and failure with students. I find myself doing the same thing with blogs. I steal – and learn from so many different sites out there in the cyber camping grounds.

72. Robyn Lee

So nice to know lovely people like you enjoy camping out at my place :) Thank you Russel ~ will be exploring here as well … looks like a terrific home you have made here … Best Wishes ~RL

73. Stripper X

Hi Russel! Thanks for stopping by my (camp) site and following. It’s much appreciated! While I don’t enjoy camping all that much in my personal life, I’m game for glamping – glamorous camping (running water, bathroom nearby, food delivered), so I’ll see you around the fire!

Many decades ago (1978), I hooked up with some folks to go camping in the deep East Texas Piney Woods. I bought my first tent, sleeping bag, and all the requisite camping gear. When I got to the location, everyone except me were in motor homes, RVs, or had made reservations for sleeping and showering at a hotel about 10 miles away from the “campsite.” I was never so disappointed in all my life………….lol

1. Stripper X

Hahahaha, well the question is – did you rough it out as nature intended, or did you succumb to the comforts of modern conveniences?

74. foresterartist

Holy smoke man, you get around. You must be exhausted from all this camping and the smores must be playing hell with your blood sugar. Thanks for dropping by. Great site you’ve got here!

75. Amiable Amiable

Am I the 338th comment for this post?! Holy CAMPFIRE smoke! That’s AWESOME! What a great way to visit blogs. Thank you so much for camping at my blog for a bit. If you have a chance to come by again, bring a pitcher of those Margaritas! ;)

76. tchistorygal

That was a misleading title. I swished right by the first photo because there was no hawk, Then when I got to the second one I had to go back and give it all a second look. Good for you getting your readers to take a second and third look. Awesome! Russel Ray, you are a great blogger and you don’t need me to tell you that, but I am. I am nominating you for the Blog of the Year 2012 Award. You can do with it what you wish, but it is a thank you for the wonderfully interesting times I’ve spent on your blog and back and forth in the comment boxes. Have a great holiday season! http://wp.me/2jC53 :)

77. Arianne Z.

my security spotted you around my territory. I decided to look around your domain and was about to go on an offensive.I was greeted by pictures of animals that looked as if they’ll pounce at any given moment. I stepped back. No fighting chance.

Seriously though, your photos are crazy good :]

78. TooFullToWrite

I’ve been camping a couple of times in my life (only a couple I know, pathetic right but I’m sure I will go many more) – not proper camping, as there were burger bars and facilities on site. I’ve not quite reached the point of a “Three Amigos” scenario where I’m playing “Blue Shadows on the Trail” under the evening stars while fighting off a bear in my underwear yet (but the night is still young). Looking forward to enjoying more of your blog and thanks for taking the time to look at mine too – bloggers of the world unite!

Many decades ago I hooked up with some campers in Houston. It was my first time to go camping with them and I had just graduated from Texas A&M University. I bought a tent, sleeping bag, camping gear, hiking boots……. When I got to the campground, there were RVs, mobile homes, F350 pickups. Their idea of camping was to take the house into the woods. One guy, a Native American, had a 75-foot tall teepee, but inside his 400-square-foot “tent,” he had a refrigerator, stove, dining table, four chairs…….. It was the worst camping trip I’ve ever been on but a heck of a lot of fun……lol

79. Pingback: Blog of the Year 2012 Award :) « Beyond The Dream

80. Long Life Cats and Dogs

Wow, you got some absolutely fabulous photographs there. I could sit and look at them for hours (best not, though, got a kitten to go feed and a cat to search for and others that just need oodles of love). Pulling myself physically away from the screen :)

81. Healthy A-Z

I like this concept. I follow it as well, but I’m not as clever and creative as you have been. ;-) Love it! By the way, I shared your blog with my daughter who lives in So Cal. You are a fun resource!

82. purpleborough

Thank you for camping out at my blog today. Yours is fascinating, however, I must off to Tai Chi before I can get any further than this page. I like reading all the comments…there are so many it takes a while so I may need to go for beignets and coffee to keep me nourished while I read through!:)

83. Marcella Rousseau

You left my campsite so nice and clean that you’re welcome back anytime. Just a reminder, make sure you put out the campfire and cover it with dirt too. If you get hungry, help yourself to some bread or soups on my posts. Then get some exercise starting with the warm-up post (always warm up and cool down) and follow an exercise post that is to your liking. Take in the views and chat with the locals, they’re good folk. When you get back home, I would appreciate it if you told a friend that you had a good time. Thanks!

84. Jessie & Jane

Thank you so very much for visiting our blog and not leaving any trash at your campsite. So sorry I didn’t leave some Aussie salmon out for Zoey, please pass onto her my sincerest apologies. Goodness knows how you found us but so very glad you did and I will look forward to reading more on my next visit to San Diego! xxx’s

85. opreach

Hi there, Russell! I am glad that you felt free to come by and set up your tent. I, too, enjoy camping in the real. And probably my knees won’t let me some years hence. Until then . . . Meanwhile, come by any time! Peace, Pat

86. Julie Israel

Cool concept! I like that you’ve articulated something very similar to how I like and leave comments, as well. Camping..,great metaphor :) Thank you again for stopping by the Read Room.

87. clbolinbooks

Yes it can be hard to keep up with all the likes and comments, I agree! I hadn’t had a chance to come by & say thank you for following me & visiting :) I love the work you do!

88. Claire 'Word by Word'

Thanks for camping out at Word by Word yesterday and leaving a comment on Canada, my post about Richard Ford’s excellent book. :) I think you may enjoy camping French style, we go every year somewhere on or near the Mediterranean, the tents have tiles floors, beds, sheets, a fridge, plates and utensils, basically everything you need, you just bring a bag with your clothes and swimming things!

Check out http://www.campeole,com for how the French like to go camping, I’m hooked.

And if you want to know what to read, come back and visit Word by Word!

So French camping is what that’s called!

When I graduated from Texas A&M in 1977, I took a job in Houston and immediately joined a camping group. On our first camping trip, I had a new tent, new sleeping bag, new camping tools. When I got to the camp site, there were several big RVs and camping trailers. One guy, a Native American, had a 75-foot tall teepee. Inside was a tile floor, dining room table, good China plates and silverware, candles, music……. I never felt so out of place camping in my life!

1. Claire 'Word by Word'

I think they call it glamping – glamour camping – for me it’s finding a solution that suits everyone, kids and parents with the least hassle and stress on the marriage :) Nothing like what camping is in New Zealand where I grew up and they’d probably think we are too soft doing it like this, but I’m a converted to the more comfortable version, without going overboard and buying a car that costs more than a house (but love visiting thos German and Dutch campers who park up with all their mod cons) :)

89. Dream, Pray and Love

Yey! Thanks that I was one of those blogs and I feel privileged to have you camped out in my blog.:) Upon reading your comment on my post, tried to figure out what you meant by camp site stuff. Now, makes sense and I love that idea! You’re welcome anytime in my campsite:))

90. thatfraeuleinj

Russel, totally love your idea of “camping” on other people’s blogs. You’re so creative :)
    Funny you’re speaking of those notorious German campers. I’ll be going camping with family and friends next month, including all the stuff you joked about. Hooray for fun clichees! :D

91. Deepa

Hi and thank you for following my blog. Your tent is always welcome and I promise no spiders (except maybe the kind involving soft drink and ice cream! ).

92. sistasertraline

Thanks again for coming by and checking out my anonymous brain dump/rant/poetry/music/spiritual/confessional area, hope your hair didn’t go grey….. ;-)

Hope to see you soon x

93. Lindy Lee

Hello Russel, I owe you a big, belated thank you & an apology for my shameful lack of comments & likes. You do, indeed, have a unique blog site, most enjoyable, informative & entertaining, wordwise & photowise. Just wanted to let you know I do stop by every time I get a post from you but, unlike you and your intelligent plan for handling hundreds of bloggers’ contributions, I am absolutely overwhelmed. So please allow this note to appease my guilt for appearing to ignore your wonderful words & pix (detailed attention to correct, proper grammar & fine-tuned, artistic, tasteful photography). I’m definitely here & am truly a fan of the San Diego man, name of Russel Ray. Thank you for being here on WordPress.
    P.S. Please tell Zoey that I’m an admiring fan of hers, too…

94. luchaniktravel

Thanks for camping out at my blog. I appreciate your visit, and your comment. Have a super fantastic day, and a wonderful May!

95. coachdaddyblogger

Here’s another great byproduct of your awesome approach, Russel – I’ve found five new blogs to follow just by reading your comments. I’m glad WordPress suggested I check out your blog. Look forward to a lot of reciprocated camping!

96. domingosaurus

Great concept! (I realize this duplicates many previous comments but I don’t think it can be said enough!) And also, thanks for camping out in my blog for awhile the other day! It’s always great to have visitors!

97. ideflex

This is a brilliant way to do it! I often feel badly that I can’t visit all the blogs in return that I would like to and have taken to marathon “camping” on Sunday mornings…

98. texasdruids

Hi Russell. I recently remodeled and renamed my WordPress homepage. I’d love for you to stop by and take a look around. My Monday Author Meetup is drawing some fantastic guest authors and readers. You can find these author interviews on my Posts page.

New web address: http://lynhorner.com

99. WilderSoul

You’re welcome to camp out at Wildersoul.wordpress.com anytime. Bring a pack of markers, or colouring pencils and I’ll provide the colouring book! ;) Toasted marshmallows on a stick to eat by firelight under the moon and stars… (*contented sigh*)

100. stitchknit

Thanks for ‘camping’ at Stitchknit! Love it when you stop by. I’m no camper at this point, used to……..but now my idea of camping includes fresh sheets, a mint on the pillow and spa facilities!

101. JayNine

Hey, wow, i realllly LOVE this idea of on line camp-out! Maybe, i will follow you to each blog you been to someday soon and write about the camping experience, in my own blog ;D Cheers! I’ll bring the S’more’s!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog on your travels, followed your blog, and Thanks Again for the major fun inspiration!

I find it to be a lot of fun because in just a few minutes I can really get to know someone fairly well. I have only had one person complain. He posted several times a day, so if I went by once every two weeks, he would have 50 posts up. I would read all of them, LIKE all of them, and leave 5-10 comments as well. So he would get 55-60 emails and didn’t like that. He asked me to quit coming by his blog, so I did.

102. babsje

Is it true that there was (gasp!) rain in San Diego this week?? Do you like camping in the rain? I do, though I draw the line at waking up under a blanket of snow… and also at sharing my tent with a curious armadillo in Florida. But that’s a story for a different time.

103. Musa Molona

Thank you for visiting my blog (and camping out). So sad I hadn’t prepared the barbecue and some fish for Zoey the cool cat! You will be welcome every time you come back!

See you soon here.

104. acerentacargreece

Hi Russell thanks for camping out on my blog and enjoying the posts. Your positive energy and spirit is well received and I hope we may share the many more stories to come … I embrace your very different and inspirational approach to sharing … May you always be well! Regards to Zoey the cool cat!

105. Adam Hughes

I love it! What a great blogging idea. Thank you for ‘Camping out’ on my blog. I will most definitely be doing the same on you fantasticola blog :)

106. Jacqui Murray

Thanks for ‘camping out’ on my blog, Ray. It was great fun seeing you around. I’m going to make some posts for Zoe so she’s more comfortable next time (did the dog stuff bother her). Give me a few months…

107. afracooking

I never looked at is as camping – really like that idea! I always thought of it as visiting a new town: you start on the main square, sometimes you just look at the main attractions, but sometimes you get lost in little allys and sidestreets and discover hidden gems.

108. dogleadermysteries

Thanks for following my blog. I love the idea of camping out on others’ blogs. Can I bring the marshmallows? I promise to bring my own foldout chairs, firewood and blankets because without a campfire, where is the smoke? (Just pulling your leg, I have asthma so no indoor fires for me.)

P.S. By the way, I found your blog via links at the blog of “Texas, a cat in…. Austin.” He had a few billion links to all sorts of great blogs, I spent an hour just clicking on links to find blogs that looked interesting to me. I’ll be back to your blog today or tomorrow to do some reading, liking, and commenting.

1. dogleadermysteries

Good to know, Russel. Been blogging for three years, thinking of moving from WordPress.com because I cannot make the linky tools work due to the rules.

I would love the link that sent you here. Please send if you have it. The most important thing about me is that I’m a writer, member of Redwood Writers, branch of the CA Writers Club and a member of Blog Paws, blogging for Be the Change for Animals, animal welfare and pet humor.

Thanks again, for finding my blog and for hanging out.

Linky Tools has a workaround for WordPress.com bloggers. I noticed that your blog URL does not include “wordpress.com” in it. Did you upgrade, like I did, or did you download and install WordPress on your own server or a host server such as bluehost.com or something?

Here’s the link to “Texas, a cat in…. Austin”:

You’re on one of his posts via a linky list.

1. dogleadermysteries

No I did not did not download.

I upgraded and paid for my own domain name. Hosted on 1&1 but want to switch to Blue Host so I can have more than one site.

Thanks for the link. Turned my top hit post into a page. “No More Death By Collar” received over 5,000 hits due to the Dog Food Adviser reposting it on his Facebook page. Tons of both positive & negative comments on Facebook.

I notice that you keep a few posts open for comments throughout the year. I had tons of spam so I cut off comments, usual after a week.
            I’ll check out WordPress Linky Tools, thanks for the tip.

I keep all my posts open all the time for comments. I never know when someone might come by and have a question about an older post.

WordPress has a problem with spam simply because there are millions of people on WordPress. I had about 100 spam a day for the first six months or so. That has dwindled to maybe one spam a week now. The reason is because of Askimet. Askimet learns, but you have to give it time to work. Install Askimet and you’ll eventually have no spam.

These two statements conflict: “I upgraded and paid for my own domain name. Hosted on 1&1.” It’s impossible to “upgrade” but be hosted by someone other than WordPress.com, providing that we’re using the same definition of “upgrade.”

If you downloaded WordPress and installed it on 1&1, the download came from WordPress.org. Of course, 1&1 might provide WordPress as a benefit of hosting. Even then, though, that version of WordPress provided by hosts came from wordpress.org. No other way to do it.

An “upgrade” on WordPress.com is where you pay $99 per year to have a WordPress.com blog without “wordpress.com” in the URL. For example, my blog, russelrayphotos2.com is a WordPress.com blog. Before paying the $99 (which comes due again in a few days), my blog URL read russelrayphotos2.wordpress.com.

If your blog is hosted at 1&1, then you shouldn’t have any problem with Linky Tools working for you. Contact Linky Tools and they’ll help you figure it out. The only problem that I’m aware of between Linky Tools and WordPress is for those of us who are on wordpress.com. But, again, there is a workaround for us.

1. dogleadermysteries

I used Askimet from the very start. Then WP changed some software & started began receiving spam on all images and media. Tried to set default for all media attachments to not allow comments, which seems to be working fine.

As for the details, I should have written that I bought a domain name on 1&1. WordPress.com hosts my blog for now. Wish I knew, which and why it would be better to have a WordPress.org site (widgets and features that can be easily changed I think is one thing in favor of switching, losing WordPress.com blogging friends, would is a BIG negative.

I never paid $99 to WP to have my blog name show up without the “wordpress.com,” .but I do pay $ 30 per year to keep puppy mills and breeds from showing up on my site,

I think you’re confusing wordpress.com and wordpress.org. A common mistake.

WordPress.com is the commercial part of WordPress. The WordPress software is always free since it’s open source software. However, in order for the software to work, there has to be a host somewhere. WordPress.com is that host. However, if you use wordpress.com as your host, you will have a domain name that ends with “wordpress.com” unless you pay the upgrade fee, annually. That allows you to have a regular domain name like your dogleadermysteries.com. There’s no other way that I’m aware off, and I just finished searching the WordPress forums to see if they had changed.

WordPress.org is where one goes to get the software. Typically you would buy your domain name, find a host, and download the software to your host. Then you set it up. The benefit to that is that you don’t have wordpress.com as part of your domain name. The disadvantage is that you lose a lot of the functions (like LIKE buttons) that wordpress.com provides, although there now are workaround for that, too. The advantage is that you don’t have to abide by all the wordpress.com rules. With your own software on your own host with your own domain name, you have a lot of flexibility, especially if you understand HTML, CSS, etc.

Because the software is free, many hosts (such as Bluehost, Godaddy, etc.) download the software and make it part of their hosting package. Doesn’t cost them anything to do that. Some also download, install, provide, or support special plugins that will give you 99% of the functionality that wordpress.com offers.

I tried wordpress.org on my own hosted site but didn’t like it. First and foremost, if you’re after followers, search engines, etc., wordpress.com is the way to go, simply because it’s much easier to get them because wordpress.com has several million users. With your own hosted site using wordpress.org software, you would have a lot of work to do to get that SEO. Of course, the downside to wordpress.com’s millions of users is that spam. Spammers know where to go to make their work easier, too!

1. dogleadermysteries

Thanks for such a clear description of the difference between the two, WordPress.com and WordPress.org. I sort of know this and have been trying to figure out if I should move to WordPress.org.

Sounds like it didn’t work for you.

I got into WordPress.com three years ago on some type of deal. So I pay very little to use my blog title without the WP insert in my address.
                    Just renewed the annual fee for Domain mapping.
                    Please don’t tell, cause I might get hit with an whopping increase. My direct email for more details is dtfwriter@gmail.com – thanks.

109. Pingback: History Through Philately–Happy birthday to the ASPCA! | Russel Ray Photos

110. Pat

Thanks for the likes and the follow. It’s been fun to start to stumble around your blog and I look forward to spending more time here and getting to know you and your work better through the blog-world.